Australia’s best basketballers will blitz the Latrobe Valley in September, playing eight games in Traralgon and participating in clinics and school visits across the region.
The Victorian Government has partnered with the National Basketball League (NBL) to bring the games to the region.
Players from each of the eight NBL clubs will attend the Blitz, which leads in to the start of the NBL season on October 5.
They will play eight matches at Traralgon Sports Stadium between September 7 and 9, and will participate in a range of community activities including clinics and school visits around the region.
There will also be wheelchair basketball games and Indigenous 3 x 3 games played at half time of NBL games.
NBL Chief Executive Jeremy Loeliger thanked the Victorian Government for its support.
“This is an exciting time for the NBL and we are excited about the opportunity to host the Blitz in the Latrobe Valley,” he said.
“This is a great way to showcase the League to regional Victoria but also engage with local communities ahead of the start of our 40th anniversary season in October.”
Member for Eastern Victoria Region Ms Harriet Shing MP said: “This is a great opportunity to bring one of Australia’s most popular sports to regional Victoria and engage with local communities.
“We are pleased to partner with the NBL on this important event which will have significant benefits for the Latrobe Valley.”
The full schedule of matches for the NBL Blitz is as follows:
Traralgon Basketball Centre
- Cairns Taipans v New Zealand, September 7, 6.30pm
- Melbourne United v Illawarra Hawks, September 7, 8pm
- Perth Wildcats v Adelaide 36ers, September 8, 5.30pm
- Sydney Kings v Brisbane Bullets, September 8, 8pm
- Cairns Taipans v Illawarra Hawks, September 9, 11.30am
- Brisbane Bullets v Adelaide 36ers, September 9 2pm
- Perth Wildcats v New Zealand Breakers, September 9, 5pm
- Melbourne United v Sydney Kings, September 9, 7.30pm
There will also be four games in Melbourne on Sunday, September 10. All games will start at 2pm.
- Melbourne United v Perth Wildcats, State Basketball Centre
- Sydney Kings v Illawarra Hawks, Kilsyth
- Cairns Taipans v Brisbane Bullets, Werribee
- New Zealand Breakers v Adelaide 36ers, Whittlesea
Tickets for games can be purchased at www.nbl.com.au/blitz.
All tickets for games at Traralgon are $12.